Code Administration Section
MISSION STATEMENT: The Code Administration Section of the Urban Development Department is responsible for protecting the health, safety, and welfare of the City of Mobile and its citizens through the enforcement of building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and other applicable codes/ordinances adopted by the City of Mobile. This responsibility requires a team effort and is accomplished with the support of the Building Inspection Unit, Electrical Inspection Unit, and the Urban Development Support Staff.
There are two locations: the main office located downtown in Government Plaza, and a satellite office located in West Mobile Office at the Regency Shopping Center on University Drive. The West Mobile Office is home to the Electrical Inspection Unit and renders services in support of that unit.
GOALS: To provide inspections, plan reviews, complaint investigations, consultations and customer services in the most professional, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
SERVICES: Services rendered by the Code Administration Section include but are not necessarily limited to:
- Inspection of permitted building construction work
- Enforcement of building, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, & residential codes
- Enforcement of floodplain ordinance and FEMA regulations
- Survey existing buildings for code compliance
- Building Code consulations with owners, developers, contractors, architects, & engineers
- Commercial & Residential Plan reviews prior to construction
- Investigations of code violations and complaints
- Issuance & maintenance of competency cards for plumbers & electricians
- Administer testing for electrician's certification
- Issuance of Certificate of Occupancy for all structures built according to building code
- Issuance of Temporary Certificate of Occupancy for certain structures that meet minimum life safety components
- Research & dissemination of building code information to the public
- Forums to educate contractors and public